Re: netbooting indy - update, elf2ecoff?

To: Kenneth C Barr <kbarr@MIT.EDU>
Subject: Re: netbooting indy - update, elf2ecoff?
From: Geert Uytterhoeven <>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 07:32:53 +0100 (MET)
On Mon, 5 Feb 2001, Kenneth C Barr wrote:
> Question: As the vmlinux-indy-2.2.1-990226.ecoff kernel begins the boot
> sequence, it hangs at "unable to open initial console."  I had unpacked
> the filesystem on linux as the FAQ suggests, and my device files look
> right.  So, on the NFS server, I symlinked /dev/console to /dev/ttyS0.
> Now the message is replaced with a cryptic: "S<<<<<"

However, /dev/console must _not_ be a symlink, but a character special device
with major 5 minor 1 (cfr. Documentation/devices.txt).

Geert Uytterhoeven ------------- Sony Software Development Center Europe (SDCE) ------------------- Sint-Stevens-Woluwestraat 55
Voice +32-2-7248626 Fax +32-2-7262686 ---------------- B-1130 Brussels, Belgium