Re: NFS root with cache on

To: (Ralf Baechle)
Subject: Re: NFS root with cache on
From: Alan Cox <>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 21:39:51 +0000 (GMT)
Cc: (Jun Sun), jensenq@Lineo.COM (Quinn Jensen),
> On Mon, Feb 05, 2001 at 10:07:18AM -0800, Jun Sun wrote:
> > Did you set rx_copybreak to 1518?  I sent patches long time ago to the
> > driver
> > authors for MIPS, but I am not sure they are not there.
> Copybreak is just an optimization.  So even with this unused or set to a
> wrong value the driver should work.

If you set it wrongly you can get network failures/stalls. The normal cases
are not a problem however. You need to copybreak small frames to avoid filling
the socket queue with empty spaces. Some platforms set it to 1518 to force
a copy thereby aligning the IP header on a 4 byte boundary, which most
PCI bus master drivers wont do if you are not copying