Re: Cross compiling RPMs

To: Florian Lohoff <>
Subject: Re: Cross compiling RPMs
From: Geert Uytterhoeven <>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2001 19:27:40 +0100 (CET)
Cc: Pete Popov <>,
On Fri, 26 Jan 2001, Florian Lohoff wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 26, 2001 at 10:37:03AM -0800, Pete Popov wrote:
> > glibc.  Others might have similar toolchains they can point you at.
> > Another option is native builds, which I personally don't like.
> Cross compiling is definitly no option for debian as the dependencies
> etc are all made from "ldd binary" which has to fail for cross-compiling.
> I guess this also happens to rpm packages so cross-compiling to really
> get a correct distribution is definitly no option.

> I definitly go for native builds - Once you have a working stable
> base you can set up debian autobuilders which will do nearly
> everything for you except signing and uploading the package into
> the main repository.

I really like what they did for ia64 (cfr. the Linux Kongress talk in 1999):
they are running an (emulated) ia64 chrooted environment on an ia32 box.
Binaries in the chrooted environment can be both native (ia32, fast) or
non-native (ia64, emulated and slower). May help for autobuilders for `slow'
architectures (emulated m68k may be faster than the fastest existing '060) as

Using such a technique would allow to let weird stuff like `ldd' and
intermediate created binaries work.

P.S. I also think Debian should provide cross-gccs and cross-binutils for all
     architectures it supports, so I don't have to build them myself. And if I
     then could install any lib*-dev*.deb for architecture <arch> into
     /usr/<arch>-linux/ I can cross-compile userspace as well...

                                                            -- Linus Torvalds