Re: Cross compiling RPMs

To: Ralf Baechle <ralf@oss.sgi.com>
Subject: Re: Cross compiling RPMs
From: Mike McDonald <mikemac@mikemac.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2001 09:45:39 -0800
Cc: linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
>Date:  Sun, 28 Jan 2001 04:10:26 -0800
>From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@oss.sgi.com>
>To: Mike McDonald <mikemac@mikemac.com>
>Subject: Re: Cross compiling RPMs
>
>On Sat, Jan 27, 2001 at 02:57:24PM -0800, Mike McDonald wrote:
>
>>   I was thinking of what the MINIMUM set of RPMs you needed installed
>> so you could bootstrap a system up from sources, not what's the
>> minimum needed to recompile any arbitrary RPM.
>
>Really depends on what you want to do.  Many packages detect other packages
>or features of other packages.  This builds a big evil network of
>dependencies which make bootstrapping somewhat hard.  It's a good idea to
>start with an as complete installation as possible.

  I want to do just the opposite. I want to start with the minimum set
of installed binaries and build a complete binary distribution from
its sources. (That means finding the root of the dependency graph and
starting there, assuming there actually is one. It isn't necessarily a
single rpm. People like to make circular dependancies!)

  Mike McDonald
  mikemac@mikemac.com