Re: Cross compiling RPMs

To: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro@ds2.pg.gda.pl>
Subject: Re: Cross compiling RPMs
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@oss.sgi.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 10:50:18 -0800
Cc: Florian Lohoff <flo@rfc822.org>, Pete Popov <ppopov@mvista.com>, linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
On Sat, Jan 27, 2001 at 08:42:34AM +0100, Maciej W. Rozycki wrote:

> > I definitly go for native builds - Once you have a working stable
> > base you can set up debian autobuilders which will do nearly
> > everything for you except signing and uploading the package into
> > the main repository.
>
>  Yep, native builds are more likely to get correct as that's what most
> developers out there check (there are actually developers who never heard
> of something like a cross-compilation, sigh...).  But not everyone can
> afford a week to build glibc or X11...

Sounds like DECstation results.  Building all the Redhat 7.0 packages which
are on oss + some others which could build for MIPS but don't for some
reason to the point where the build fails takes approx 40h on an Origin 200
with 2 180MHz R10000 processors and 1.5gb RAM.

I recently was told there is some m68k VME system out there which needs
approx. 3 days to rebuild it's kernel.