Re: GDB 5 for mips-linux/Shared library loading with new binutils/glibc

To: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <>
Subject: Re: GDB 5 for mips-linux/Shared library loading with new binutils/glibc
From: Ralf Baechle <>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 11:01:06 -0800
Cc: Justin Carlson <>,
On Sat, Jan 27, 2001 at 09:01:47AM +0100, Maciej W. Rozycki wrote:

>  I've contributed all patches I've written myself.  Unfortunately, most of
> the code needed for gdb 5.0 to run on MIPS was taken from the 4.x CVS at
>  As such it is required all authors of patches have to have
> their copyright assigned to FSF before committing them to the gdb CVS.
>  I've asked people to resolve ownership of the code here some time ago,
> but it seems nobody is really interested in getting this code into
> official gdb, sigh...

The only people who have contributed amounts of code large enough for the
FSF to requires an assignment are David Miller ( and
myself.  I've already signed an assignment with the FSF and I'm also sure
David has.  I btw. cannot remember having seen any mail from you regarding
copyright assignments of GDB.

> > However, seems to know nothing about relocating shared library with a
> > non-zero shared library base address, which causes dynamically linked
> > stuff to crash spectacularly.
>  Does it?  Please provide more details.  All of my system (linux 2.4.0,
> glibc 2.2.1) is dynamically linked and it works fine.

I don't know what you look at - fails to handle libraries which are
not linked to 0x5fffe000 ...