Re: MIPS/linux compatible PCI network cards

To: Michael Shmulevich <michaels@jungo.com>
Subject: Re: MIPS/linux compatible PCI network cards
From: Pete Popov <ppopov@mvista.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 13:31:44 -0800
Cc: "linux-mips@oss.sgi.com" <linux-mips@oss.sgi.com>
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Michael Shmulevich wrote:

> Pete Popov wrote:
>
> > To get the realtek driver to work, all you need to do is to set
> > mips_io_port_base to KSEG1.  Let's assume that the ethernet card has
> > been assigned i/o space at 0x14000000.  The driver will pick that up as
> > the ioaddr and use the 0x1400000 as the "port". The inb()/outb() macros
> > add mips_io_port_base to the "port" value and now you have 0xB4000000,
> > so you can access the card.
> >
> > Pete
>
> The KSEG1() is indeed what I did, however the driver, as I tried to
> describe, starts to loose synchronization on buffer at some point and
> just waits quietly... Even with all the DEBUG and mental effort switched
> on I can't get the reason why this happens...
>
> By the way, which version of the driver are you talking about? Mine
> doesn't have any ifdef on anything... besides MODULE of course:-)
>
> Mine is:
>
> static const char *version =
> "rtl8139.c:v1.07 5/6/99 Donald Becker
> http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/";

Hmmm, the above looks like the header for the 8129 driver, except that
it says rtl8139.  Make sure you're using drivers/net/8139too.c   I see
this in the driver:   #define RTL8139_VERSION "0.9.10". I'm using test9
kernel, I doubt that you're driver is out of date -- it seems you're
perhaps using the wrong driver.

Regarding the I/O vs MEM accesses, look for this:

/* define to 1 to enable PIO instead of MMIO */
#undef USE_IO_OPS

Pete