Re: Cross compiling RPMs

To: Pete Popov <ppopov@mvista.com>
Subject: Re: Cross compiling RPMs
From: Florian Lohoff <flo@rfc822.org>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 21:23:41 +0100
Cc: linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
On Fri, Jan 26, 2001 at 10:37:03AM -0800, Pete Popov wrote:
> glibc.  Others might have similar toolchains they can point you at.
> Another option is native builds, which I personally don't like.

Cross compiling is definitly no option for debian as the dependencies
etc are all made from "ldd binary" which has to fail for cross-compiling.
I guess this also happens to rpm packages so cross-compiling to really
get a correct distribution is definitly no option.

The larger the packages are the harder it is to get them cross-compiled
correctly as they run nifty little check programs from configure which
cant work. I guess you had similar problems as all rpms are
"noarch" which is definitly - ummm - interesting.

I definitly go for native builds - Once you have a working stable
base you can set up debian autobuilders which will do nearly
everything for you except signing and uploading the package into
the main repository.

Flo