Re: Cross compiling RPMs

To: Mike McDonald <>
Subject: Re: Cross compiling RPMs
From: Pete Popov <>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 10:37:03 -0800
Mike McDonald wrote:
>   Can anyone point me to some references of techniques for cross
> compiling RPMs? I want to build some packages for my little endian
> MIPS but I haven't found any info on cross compiling RPMs in the RPM
> docs nor "Maximum RPM". Any pointers would be appreciated. (I'm
> particularly interested in how to specify the tool chain.)

To start with, you'll need a cross tool chain setup properly with the
headers and libraries.  One option is You can grab everything (the
entire root fs) or just the tools: binutils, gcc, kernel headers,
glibc.  Others might have similar toolchains they can point you at.
Another option is native builds, which I personally don't like.