Re: floating point on Nevada cpu

To: Ralf Baechle <ralf@oss.sgi.com>
Subject: Re: floating point on Nevada cpu
From: Justin Carlson <carlson@sibyte.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 12:01:05 -0800
Cc: Pete Popov <ppopov@mvista.com>, "linux-mips@oss.sgi.com" <linux-mips@oss.sgi.com>
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
On Thu, 25 Jan 2001, Ralf Baechle wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 24, 2001 at 07:16:04PM -0800, Justin Carlson wrote:
>
> > int main()
> > {
> >     printf("%f\n", (float)3.14159);
> > }
>
> Note that above cast is useless; in C all floats are implicitly converted
> to doubles for passing to a varargs function.

Yah, I remembered this after I sent it.  I sometimes get confused with K&R
rules on promotion vs. ANSI, and forgot the varargs handling...

>All MIPS FPUs need it; the architecture specification leaves it to the
>implementor of a CPU which parts of the FP architecture are implemented
>in hardware if at all; the missing parts have to be replaced in
>software.

And here I was remembering the i386 FPU configuration options.  Just spewing
all sorts if incorrect information today!  <sigh>

Thanks for the corrections,
-Justin