Re: MIPS platform recommendations

To: John Van Horne <JohnVan.Horne@cosinecom.com>
Subject: Re: MIPS platform recommendations
From: Pete Popov <ppopov@mvista.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 12:30:08 -0800
Cc: "'linux-mips@oss.sgi.com'" <linux-mips@oss.sgi.com>, Paul Lambert <Paul.Lambert@cosinecom.com>
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
> John Van Horne wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> Can anyone recommend an R5000/R7000 machine
> which can run Linux 2.4 and would be an appropriate
> platform on which to build the libraries for an R5000/R7000
> embedded Linux application? Which platform has the
> most stable version of Linux 2.4 available?

The EV96100 (PMC RM7000 cpu) might do the job. It's overall stable and
runs with primary and secondary caches turned on.  I merged a network
fix yesterday so I need to do a new kernel release and uploaded it to
ftp.mvista.com. The previous kernel with the network bug is on the ftp
site already.

However, if you're only interested in rebuilding libraries for those
cpus, why not do a cross-build?  We cross build all userland apps
including the libraries.

Pete