Re: Trying to boot an Indy

To: linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Subject: Re: Trying to boot an Indy
From: Wills <wills@comp.leeds.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 17:23:30 +0000 (GMT)
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com

  I am also suddenly without success:

> > > 1) I tried bootp - bootp()vmlinux - it says 'no server for vmlinux'.  The
> > > bootp server is a Linux/Alpha box running 2.4.0-ac9 - I've already done
> > > the trick with no_pmtu.  tcpdump shows bootp sending a packet with
> > > apparently the correct mac address.
> >
> > I have the same problem serving bootp from my i386 2.4.0 box. bootp
> > with kernel 2.2.x on the same box works. And it is only the bootp from
> > the command console that is failing. the bootp part later on in the
> > kernel is working from the 2.4.0 box.
>
> This sprang into life when I added the 'sa' entry in the bootp file - that
> is the server address.

  I have a new set of IP addresses, new (2.2.18) kernel, new nfs
server utilities (all together, unfortunately) since my Indy last
spoke sanely to my intel linux box; neither the 'sa' bootptab entry
nor /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_no_pmtu_disc content tips have any evident
effect - ie. I will see "Setting $netaddr...", but the "obtaining
[...]" ticker no longer appears. I am eventually told, variously,
"netaddr may be set incorrectly or network too busy" or "unable to
execute bootp():vmlinux"

:(
        Wills.