Re: Trying to boot an Indy

To: Dave Gilbert <gilbertd@treblig.org>
Subject: Re: Trying to boot an Indy
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@oss.sgi.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 02:37:21 -0200
Cc: linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
On Sun, Jan 21, 2001 at 02:01:15AM +0000, Dave Gilbert wrote:

> 2) So I ftp'd the file over under Irix, gzip -d'd it and then rebooted and
> from sash did boot indyvmlinux - this immediatly after starting gave
> 'Exception: <vector=UTLB Miss>' plus details (available on request).
> (This is kernel vmlinux=001027-test9-r4x00.gz off
> download.ichilton.co.uk/pub/ichilton/linux-mips/kernels).
>
> This is an Indy R4600PC with 64MB RAM.

You may have become a victim of a sash bug which makes the firmware report
used memory as free memory and in the end results in the kernel overwriting
itself.  The solution is easy; don't use sash.  This means you either
have to boot the kernel via ``bootp() -f ...'' from the network or you
use IRIX's dvhtool to write it into the volume header, then boot it from
the kernel prompt by just entering the kernel name.