Trying to boot an Indy

To: linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Subject: Trying to boot an Indy
From: Dave Gilbert <gilbertd@treblig.org>
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 02:01:15 +0000 (GMT)
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Hi,
  I'm trying to boot my Indy into Linux for the first time and not having
any luck.

1) I tried bootp - bootp()vmlinux - it says 'no server for vmlinux'.  The
bootp server is a Linux/Alpha box running 2.4.0-ac9 - I've already done
the trick with no_pmtu.  tcpdump shows bootp sending a packet with
apparently the correct mac address.

2) So I ftp'd the file over under Irix, gzip -d'd it and then rebooted and
from sash did boot indyvmlinux - this immediatly after starting gave
'Exception: <vector=UTLB Miss>' plus details (available on request).
(This is kernel vmlinux=001027-test9-r4x00.gz off
download.ichilton.co.uk/pub/ichilton/linux-mips/kernels).

This is an Indy R4600PC with 64MB RAM.

Ideas appreciated.

Dave

P.S. I've got a lead wired here to do the 13w3 but it doesn't seem to be
spot on - I don't get any green, but it is sync'd - this is going to an
Iiyama 8617 (original 17") monitor. Ideas on that would also be
appreciated.

--
 ---------------- Have a happy GNU millennium! ----------------------
/ Dr. David Alan Gilbert      | Running GNU/Linux on m68k, |  Happy  \