Re: Current CVS (010116) Boots OK

To: Chris Ruvolo <>
Subject: Re: Current CVS (010116) Boots OK
From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 09:01:22 +0100 (MET)
Cc: Ian Chilton <>,
On Wed, 17 Jan 2001, Chris Ruvolo wrote:
> >  Great!  The code works.  Thanks for the report.  Hmm, that "6)" at the
> > end looks weird, though -- there should be something like "xxxk init, 0k
> > highmem)"...
> I belive this is because of the terminal program being used.  It appears to
> not have any kind of line wrap, so characters printed after the 80th
> overwrite the last column of the display.

 It's possible.  I'm actually using `cu' and it works fine wrt wrapping
but it requires hw flow control (it sets "-clocal" and "crtscts"
explicitly) unfortunately, which is why it cannot be used for the
DECstation's REX console I/O (which uses DTR/DSR flow control due to
serial interface limitations on certain DEC hardware).  I'm going to
modify `cu' at one time but since I don't really work with REX that much
I'm just using `cat' for this purpose for now.

 It's best to use `dmesg' (with "-s 32768" if necessary) if at all
possible to fetch logs anyway.