Re: crash in __alloc_bootmem_core on SGI current cvs

To: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro@ds2.pg.gda.pl>
Subject: Re: crash in __alloc_bootmem_core on SGI current cvs
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@oss.sgi.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 18:04:44 -0200
Cc: Florian Lohoff <flo@rfc822.org>, linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
On Tue, Jan 16, 2001 at 08:47:20PM +0100, Maciej W. Rozycki wrote:

> > Indy kernels are linked to 0x88002000.
>
>  Oh well, why can't it be done consistently in our linker script.  The
> script does ". = 0x80000000;" -- it's at least confusing, even if the
> "-Ttext" option has a priority (does it?).

It has; however the whole concept of how a linker script is interpreted
when used with -Ttext, -Tdata or -Tbss is undocumented.  It seems to be
working fine as long as the address passed to -Ttext is larger than the
address in the script, so the script is using the lowest possible
address which is KSEG0.