Re: crash in __alloc_bootmem_core on SGI current cvs

To: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro@ds2.pg.gda.pl>
Subject: Re: crash in __alloc_bootmem_core on SGI current cvs
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@oss.sgi.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 06:10:52 -0200
Cc: Florian Lohoff <flo@rfc822.org>, linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
On Mon, Jan 15, 2001 at 10:21:27PM +0100, Maciej W. Rozycki wrote:

>  As I see prink() works for you could you please also check and report the
> memory map as found by the kernel, i.e. the lines output after "Determined
> physical RAM map:", if any?  The code is executed very early, before an
> actual allocation takes place, so it should run regardless.

Apropos printk, could port maintainers look into
arch/mips64/sgi-27/ip27-console.c.  It has some code which enables the
kernel to use printk already during the very early kernel startup.  I
found this capability to be invaluable and think others will also want
to have it without the uglyness of having a separate function for
early printing such as prom_printf.  I already have such a patch for
the Indy but not for other systems.