Re: broken RM7000 in CVS ...

Subject: Re: broken RM7000 in CVS ...
From: Jun Sun <>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 13:39:51 -0800
Justin Carlson wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Jan 2001, you wrote:
> > > If I'm understanding your idea correctly, this table would require you to
> > > always compile in all the mmu routines for all processors, just to fill
> > > in the
> > > table entries.  Doesn't seem like a particularly good idea to me, even if
> > > we
> > > could use generic mips32 routines for most parts.
> > >

> > Each table entry can be surrounded by something like #if
> > defined(CONFIG_CPU_RM7000) and #endif.  That should take care of the
> > problem.
> >
> Not if you want to have constant-defined offsets into the table.  Which is
> just
> about the only reason to use a table for this...Either:

No, I am thinking to have constant-defined offset into the table.  Instead, I
am thinking to do a linear search of the table and find a matching entry based
on the PRID.

Without table, I can see two alternatives, 1) switch/case statement to fill in
the data by statements (which is the current case) or 2) for each CPU
(protected by #ifdef CONFIG_) we define a mips_cpu struct.

I guess I just like table better than switch/case statements.  Table seems
cleaner to me.

I like table over option 2) because it is possible to build a kernel that
supports multiple CPUs.

> 1)  You've got multiple entries in the table for different cpus, which you're
> indexing by some hash of PRID fields.  This requires a full table.  (Or a
> really
> ugly hash function that's adaptive depending on which which cpu support is
> compiled in)
> 2)  You've got a single entry table.

In practice most tables probably only have single entry (due to the config),
but I guess that is OK.