Re: Buying an old SGI machine.

Subject: Re: Buying an old SGI machine.
From: (H.Heinold)
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 20:35:45 +0100
On Sun, Jan 07, 2001 at 03:24:08PM +0000, Luke A. Guest wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm new to the list and have been looking to buy an old SGI machine, for
> development purposes. This means that I would be looking for a machine that
> has a decent compile time, also, I want to play around with OpenGL, so decent
> graphics is a must.

For the I2 series the specs for the graphics cars are lost. X is only
supported for the indys, please read the archieve.

> Now, I read in the archives some time ago that somebody knew of a place he
> could get O2's (in Germany) for around $600; I don't know if this is true -
> or just SPAM - but could that person get in touch with me please?

$600 are around DM1200 for this money you get an indigo2 but not an O2.

> Anyway, I have been looking at the purple Indigo2 as these seem to really
> cheap machines and rather expandable, but I can never seem to find anyone who
> is selling Irix media - why is this?

A purple Indigo2 stands in front of me. You got Irix installations media
when ypu buy a new machine or take in an auction of ebay.

> I know that Linux doesn't work with I2's yet, but I'm also willing to "try"
> to work on helping with that, as I'm currently looking into OS concepts on my
> PC, so knowledge of other architecture's would be helpful.

False Linux runs on Iindigo2 but not not on O2, please read the archieve of
the ml.

> But how would I get access to documentation for I2's? I see (do far) that the
> docs aren't available yet, what would I have to do?

Read the archieve of ml and ask the guys at sgi.

> Thanks,
> Luke A. Guest.

Henning Heinold