Buying an old SGI machine.

To: linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Subject: Buying an old SGI machine.
From: "Luke A. Guest" <laguest@nebulas.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 15:24:08 +0000
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Hi,

I'm new to the list and have been looking to buy an old SGI machine, for
development purposes. This means that I would be looking for a machine that
has a decent compile time, also, I want to play around with OpenGL, so decent
graphics is a must.

Now, I read in the archives some time ago that somebody knew of a place he
could get O2's (in Germany) for around $600; I don't know if this is true -
or just SPAM - but could that person get in touch with me please?

Anyway, I have been looking at the purple Indigo2 as these seem to really
cheap machines and rather expandable, but I can never seem to find anyone who
is selling Irix media - why is this?

I know that Linux doesn't work with I2's yet, but I'm also willing to "try"
to work on helping with that, as I'm currently looking into OS concepts on my
PC, so knowledge of other architecture's would be helpful.

But how would I get access to documentation for I2's? I see (do far) that the
docs aren't available yet, what would I have to do?

Thanks,
Luke A. Guest.