Re: your mail

To: Joe deBlaquiere <>
Subject: Re: your mail
From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 18:18:41 +0100 (MET)
Cc: Ralf Baechle <>, John Van Horne <>, "''" <>, "''" <>
On Thu, 4 Jan 2001, Joe deBlaquiere wrote:

> If the BFD stuff is built with any support for 64 bit (even as an
> optional target) it will maintain all addresses as 64-bit values, even
> if the file is 32 bit.

 I do consider it fine BFD handles all addresses as 64-bit internally.  I
just think it should truncate them to 32-bits upon printing (and always
whenever appropriate) when the selected target is 32-bit.  It does so (it
has to!) for output anyway, so what's the deal?

> If you're really only doing 32-bit mips you might consider removing the
> 64 bit targets in the config.bfd... I think that will solve the problems.

 Nope, I insist 32-bit targets need to work correctly regardless of
whether there are any 64-bit ones supported by a particular BFD binary or
not.  Do you think elf32-i386 should switch to printing 64-bit addresses
if elf64-alpha is also supported by a given configuration of BFD?  I