Re: your mail

To: Ralf Baechle <ralf@oss.sgi.com>
Subject: Re: your mail
From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro@ds2.pg.gda.pl>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 17:22:51 +0100 (MET)
Cc: John Van Horne <JohnVan.Horne@cosinecom.com>, "'linux-mips@oss.sgi.com'" <linux-mips@oss.sgi.com>, "'wesolows@foobazco.org'" <wesolows@foobazco.org>
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
On Thu, 4 Jan 2001, Ralf Baechle wrote:

> > I see that our start address of 0x80102584 has been turned into
> > 0xffffffff80102584. I'm thinking that
> > I need to tell ld something to stop it from doing this. Any ideas?
>
> That's be ok.  32-bit MIPS addresses are sign-extended into 64-bit addresses.
> Older binutils used to zero-extend addresses which was broken.  So what
> you observe is actually the sympthom of a bug that got fixed.

 I'm not sure that's the best solution, I'm afraid.  For elf32-mips
addresses should be 32-bit and not 64-bit.  It would be consistent with
other 32-bit platforms, it would make interoperability easier (ksymoops
cannot make use of System.map to grok kernel oopses which provide 32-bit
addresses) and it would make objdump outputs more readable.

 Fixing this problem with BFD is on my to do list (but has a low priority
assigned).