Re: Run the cross-compiled program.

To: kjlin <kj.lin@viditec-netmedia.com.tw>
Subject: Re: Run the cross-compiled program.
From: Keith M Wesolowski <wesolows@chem.unr.edu>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 18:39:38 -0800
Cc: linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
On Wed, Dec 20, 2000 at 06:09:25PM +0800, kjlin wrote:

> Can anyone point out which step i done wrong in the process of
> cross-compiling an program with the -static option?  I made the
> cross-compile toolkit by myself.

Be aware of an unrelated problem: statically linked binaries that
attempt to access functions in the nss libraries will crash.

> FATAL: kernel too old
> My target system is an embedded mips board running linux-2.2.14 and

One possibility is that you do not have the proc filesystem available
when running the program.  Certain older libc has issues with
detecting version when /proc was not available.

Another possibility is that you somehow got hold of the glibc that I
built, from the same toolkit.  That glibc will not run on kernel <
2.3.99.

I guess I don't quite understand why you would want to use kernel 2.2
with glibc 2.2.  For embedded purposes, glibc 2.0 will save you a lot
of space; if you just want the newest stuff unconditionally, use
kernel 2.4.  The specific libc you are using is rather dated anyway.
While it worked for most purposes it is hardly bug-free.  Consider
using CVS glibc, or the glibc from Florian's Debian build environment.

--
Keith M Wesolowski                      wesolows@chem.unr.edu