Re: MIPS_ATOMIC_SET in sys_sysmips()

To: Harald Koerfgen <>
Subject: Re: MIPS_ATOMIC_SET in sys_sysmips()
From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 19:03:00 +0100 (MET)
Cc:, Ralf Baechle <>, Jun Sun <>
On Tue, 19 Dec 2000, Harald Koerfgen wrote:

> Another possibility would be to rely on the userland ll/sc emulation in the
> kernel. The one in the linux-vr tree seems to be working well and can easily
> be
> backported to Linux/MIPS.

 This should work but it looks ugly to me and the performance would suck

> Advantage: userland binary compatibility.
> Disadvantage: possibility for a lot of context switches for userland atomic
> operations.

 We may implement the emulation anyway, just like we emulate unaligned

> Having a sysmips(MIPS_ATOMIC_SET, ...) or atomic_op() solution would probably
> lot faster.
> Maybe we should implement both :)

 If we could afford another syscall number then I would prefer atomic_op()
at the moment as it is well-documented and it does not overload one
function for various purposes, i.e. it's a bit faster.