Re: Kernel Oops when booting on DECstation

To: Martin Michlmayr <tbm@cyrius.com>
Subject: Re: Kernel Oops when booting on DECstation
From: Florian Lohoff <flo@rfc822.org>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 12:07:14 +0100
Cc: linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
On Sat, Dec 16, 2000 at 08:56:03AM +0100, Martin Michlmayr wrote:

> Linux version 2.4.0-test8-pre1 (flo@slimer.rfc822.org) (gcc version
> egcs-2.90.20
[...]
> Any ideas?  (I hope and think that it has nothing to do with me
> booting from a NetBSD partition.  I don't have ethernet on the machine
> and thus have to boot the kernel from the existing FFS partition in
> order to start Linux and then run delo.  NetBSD boots and works, btw.)

I have the suspicion that you are running into a bug Harald and me
solved when booting my /150 from Disk. It seems the Firmware KN04 V2.1k
doesnt correctly reset/disable the SCSI Controller and the Ethernet
chip causing the system to crash immediatly in the "request_irq" section.

I guess the backtrace is bogus but i might be wrong. I would recommend
trying to compile a current cvs kernel yourself and retry.

Flo