Re: FAQ/

To: Jan-Benedict Glaw <jbglaw@lug-owl.de>
Subject: Re: FAQ/
From: Harald Koerfgen <Harald.Koerfgen@home.ivm.de>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 10:21:18 +0100 (CET)
Cc: linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
On 17-Dec-00 Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 17, 2000 at 03:34:38AM +0100, Ralf Baechle wrote:
>> On Sun, Dec 17, 2000 at 02:29:55AM +0100, H.Heinold wrote:
>>
>> > Hm I am still working on the boot floppies for debian, when I have the
>> > time.
>> > for mipsel they should work, but I only build them for mips.
>> > the problem on mips was the sgi disklabel, but that isnt used on dec.
>>
>> But SGI's don't have floppies :-)
>
> Question in charge: Do DECstations really have floppies? Mine do
> not... So vor me it's only relevant to have an nfsroot.tgz allowing
> me to install further packages...

Besides Maxines DECstations don't have floppies. Well, there are some with SCSI
floppies but that doesn't count.

Anyway, everything that fit's on a floppy would fit into a ramdisk as well.
Compile this ramdisk image into the kernel, boot with "root=/dev/ram", et
voila...

Working on "boot floppies" *does* make sense, IMHO.

--
Regards,
Harald