Re: FAQ/

To: linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Subject: Re: FAQ/
From: Jan-Benedict Glaw <jbglaw@lug-owl.de>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 02:00:43 +0100
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
On Sun, Dec 17, 2000 at 01:37:34AM +0100, Olaf Zaplinski wrote:
> Where do I find it? I saw the debian-mipsel dist on ftp.rfc822.org, but as
> there is no doc at all, this dist is unusuable... perhaps I am lucky with
> that, I strongly dislike the Debian dist.

Btw, what kind of doc do you expect? The MIPS port is, well, everything
but a "customer linux" right now. It's more-or-less working for
people who know what they do. There's no installer comparable to
a regular PC installation (insert boot CDROM, press enter sometimes,
ready). Everything you can expect is a tarball, which can be
mounted via nfsroot. There you can find a kernel inside which you
can boot over bootp/tftp (or via mop, if you have not so much luck).
Then, you can locally fdisk/mkfs/mount your HDDs and copy everything
by hand. That's the installation.

Anything else still needs to be written. I've started an approach
of a clean debian root filesystem (ftp.lug-owl.de) you may want
to try. However, Debian is currently the only distribution supporting
those machines at all. The declinux image is heavily outdated and
ships a totally broken libc with it... It's no fun!

MfG, JB"Nur die Harten komm'n in'n Garten, alle Weichen geh'n in Teich!"G
PS: http://oss.sgi.com/mips/mips-howto.html

--
Fehler eingestehen, Größe zeigen: Nehmt die Rechtschreibreform zurück!!!
/* Jan-Benedict Glaw <jbglaw@lug-owl.de> -- +49-177-5601720 */