Re: Little endian.

To: "Kevin D. Kissell" <kevink@mips.com>
Subject: Re: Little endian.
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@oss.sgi.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2000 12:45:39 +0100
Cc: Nicu Popovici <octavp@isratech.ro>, linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
On Fri, Dec 15, 2000 at 07:28:15PM +0100, Kevin D. Kissell wrote:

> If you want to run little-endian, you need to install
> the little-endian binaries and libraries.  Since I needed
> to "swing both ways", I put both a big-endian root and
> a little-endian root partition on my Atlas disk, with user/data
> partitions that can be mounted on either one - fortunately,
> the Ext2FS metadata seems to be consistent regardless
> of endianness.

Ext2fs on-disk data structures are defined to be little endian.  Some very
old ext2 filesystems which afaik where all created on Linux/M68K were big
endian; for those e2fsck has the option to change the endianess of the
filesystem during a fsck run; the current kernel will refuse to accept
such big endian ext2 filesystems.