Re: Should /dev/kmem support above 0x80000000 area?

To: Ralf Baechle <>
Subject: Re: Should /dev/kmem support above 0x80000000 area?
From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 12:28:19 +0100 (MET)
Cc: Jun Sun <>,
On Sat, 9 Dec 2000, Ralf Baechle wrote:

> Actually there is almost nothing left that uses /dev/{mem,kmem} these days.

 Last time I checked /dev/mem worked as expected.  For Alpha /dev/mem is
used to emulate PCI/ISA I/O space accesses (ioperm(), inb/outb() and
friends) by glibc.  At least XFree86 and SVGATextMode make use of these
features.  I suppose it's the same for MIPS (I haven't checked, though).

 In general /dev/mem is useful for poking at hardware from user space.  On
the other hand, /dev/kmem is not very useful anymore, indeed.