Re: Indigo2 Kernel Boots!!!

To: "Jesse Dyson" <>, "Klaus Naumann" <>
Subject: Re: Indigo2 Kernel Boots!!!
From: "Kevin D. Kissell" <>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 17:10:32 +0100
Cc: <>
> I'm not exactly sure what this means to "link" /dev/console.  Based on the
> FAQ (, I shouldn't have to
> do the inittab stuff since I am in ser port 1.  I noticed I do not have an
> /etc/inittab file in my root fs, but there is a inittabold.  Is there
> something with these files I have to fix or do I do an 'ln -s' or
> something on the /dev/console and point it to /dev/ttyS0?

When the init process fires up, it opens /dev/console as the
console output device.  A default SGI workstation installation
file system will have /dev/console bound to the major/minor device
node of the graphics display console.  If you want to run with a serial
console, you must therefore change this to bind /dev/console
to the serial port.  You can do this by doing an explicit mknod,
or by linking to the appropriate serial port device node,
which is usually /dev/ttyS0.

            Kevin K.