Re: Kernel Boot Hard Locks Indigo 2

To: Jesse Dyson <jesse@winston-salem.com>
Subject: Re: Kernel Boot Hard Locks Indigo 2
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 17:17:09 +0000
Cc: linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Hello,

> However, after the kernel has loaded the machine hard locks.

Where did you get the kernel from?

We have a known issue with the CVS versions of GCC....it seems that
when you compile a 2.4 kernel with this, it works on the Indy, but
won't boot on the I2...it hangs when initialising the serial console.

Compiling the same kernel with egcs-1.1.2 works OK on both the Indy and
I2...

You can get known working kernels for the Indy and I2 in:

ftp://download.ichilton.co.uk/pub/ichilton/linux-mips/kernels)
(or  http://download.ichilton.co.uk/linux-mips/kernels/)

For 2.2.14, there are separate kernels for the I2 and Indy (the I2 one
has EISA enabled).

For 2.4-test11, the same kernel works on both.

Bye for Now,

Ian

                                \|||/
                                (o o)
 |  Ian Chilton        (IRC Nick - GadgetMan)     ICQ #: 16007717  |
 |  E-Mail: ian@ichilton.co.uk     Web: http://www.ichilton.co.uk  |
 |        Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.         |