Re: User/Group Problem

To: Ralf Baechle <ralf@oss.sgi.com>
Subject: Re: User/Group Problem
From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro@ds2.pg.gda.pl>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 15:19:11 +0100 (MET)
Cc: Ian Chilton <ian@ichilton.co.uk>, linux-mips@oss.sgi.com, lfs-discuss@linuxfromscratch.org, Andreas Jaeger <aj@suse.de>
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
On Mon, 13 Nov 2000, Ralf Baechle wrote:

> >  Here is a patch I use since July successfully.  We need to wait until
> > 2.4.1 or so (or maybe even 2.5) is released for it to be applied as
> > 2.4.0-test* are currently code-frozen.  Maybe we could apply it to our CVS
> > for now?  Ralf, what do you think?
>
> There is second interpretation of this problem - the address passed to
> mmap is bogus, so this computation needs to be fixed.

 Where is it written mmap() is allowed to fail when a bogus VM address is
passed but MAP_FIXED is not set?  I believe mmap() should choose a
different VM address in this case, as long as much enough contiguous VM
space is available anywhere to satisfy the requested length.

 Surely, map_segment() (see dl-load.c) might call mmap(0, ...) after
mmap(<some_address>, ...) fails when MAP_FIXED is not set but wouldn't
that be a dirty hack?  We'd better fix the kernel.

  Maciej