Re: MIPS kernel!

To: Ralf Baechle <ralf@oss.sgi.com>
Subject: Re: MIPS kernel!
From: "Kevin D. Kissell" <kevink@mips.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2000 12:07:04 -0800
Cc: Nicu Popovici <octavp@isratech.ro>, linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Ralf Baechle wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 08, 2000 at 10:53:14AM +0100, Kevin D. Kissell wrote:
>
> > In general, at MIPS, we generally build native or semi-native
> > (mipsel on mipseb machines and vice versa).  In cross-builds
> > of other components, however, I have observed that problems
> > such as those you describe can result from include files
> > on the host platform being erroneously pulled in to the cross-build.
> > Cross-gcc and the makefiles have been known to be set up such
> > that, if the needed include file can be found neither in the explicitly
> > requested directories nor in the cross-compiler's default includes,
> > it will silently search the host /usr/include directories.
>
> This is either a bug in the version that you're using, a wrongly installed
> compiled or simply wrong -I directives passed to the compiler.

Obviously.  And my thought was that Nicu may well be being
bit by one or the other.

> The crosscompiler rpms as distributed on oss will only search:
>
>  /usr/lib/gcc-lib/mips-linux/egcs-2.91.66/include
>  /usr/mips-linux/include
>
> by default.  I just tried, egcs-1.1.2-2 also doesn't search silently in
> other directories.  So it's not a problem of gcc itself which leaves the
> makefiles.  If you find any instance of the wrong directories being
> searched, please tell me.  Or better, include a patch :-)

I saw an instance of this on the order of a year ago.  I don't
remember which compiler I was using, nor where I got it.  I have
no ability nor really much desire to try to reconstruct the
environment to reproduce the problem!

                        Kevin K.