Re: MIPS kernel!

To: "Kevin D. Kissell" <kevink@mips.com>
Subject: Re: MIPS kernel!
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@oss.sgi.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2000 15:10:48 +0100
Cc: Nicu Popovici <octavp@isratech.ro>, linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
On Wed, Nov 08, 2000 at 10:53:14AM +0100, Kevin D. Kissell wrote:

> In general, at MIPS, we generally build native or semi-native
> (mipsel on mipseb machines and vice versa).  In cross-builds
> of other components, however, I have observed that problems
> such as those you describe can result from include files
> on the host platform being erroneously pulled in to the cross-build.
> Cross-gcc and the makefiles have been known to be set up such
> that, if the needed include file can be found neither in the explicitly
> requested directories nor in the cross-compiler's default includes,
> it will silently search the host /usr/include directories.

This is either a bug in the version that you're using, a wrongly installed
compiled or simply wrong -I directives passed to the compiler.  The
crosscompiler rpms as distributed on oss will only search:

 /usr/lib/gcc-lib/mips-linux/egcs-2.91.66/include
 /usr/mips-linux/include

by default.  I just tried, egcs-1.1.2-2 also doesn't search silently in
other directories.  So it's not a problem of gcc itself which leaves the
makefiles.  If you find any instance of the wrong directories being
searched, please tell me.  Or better, include a patch :-)