Re: Soon I will give up on MIPS kernel!

To: Nicu Popovici <>
Subject: Re: Soon I will give up on MIPS kernel!
From: Keith M Wesolowski <>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2000 09:39:52 -0800
On Thu, Nov 02, 2000 at 09:56:24AM -0500, Nicu Popovici wrote:

> The steps that I did are :
> 1. made a linux symlink to linux_2_2_CVS

There is absolutely no reason to do this. In fact, it's death. Put the
kernel sources in your home directory or a scratch area. Leave
everything in /usr/src as it was when you installed your system.

> I want to manage to crosscompile this kernel on a i686 machine for a
> mips machine. So I saw there that it says something  about
> /usr/include/asm  which is for my i686 machine. I guess that the errors
> come from here. Can you tell me what I have to do. I have to mention

Yep. Just...don't do that. /usr/src/linux is for your native sources
and headers. Do not cross-build kernels in /usr/src, ever.

Keith M Wesolowski
University of Nevada
Chemistry Department Systems and Network Administrator