GCC Compile Failed

To: linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Subject: GCC Compile Failed
From: "Clarence Donath" <donath@hks.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2000 07:42:35 -0500
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Hello,

I've been trying to get GCC to compile on my Indy for weeks now.  I started out
with the latest version of GCC, and have stepped back to egsc-1.1.2.  Each time
I try to 'make bootstap', which takes days, I get this error:

cc ERROR parsing -W:  bad syntax for option
cc WARNING:  phase key (-)  is no longer supported
cc ERROR parsing -W:  bad phase for -W option
cc WARNING:  phase key (W)  is no longer supported
cc ERROR parsing -W:  bad phase for -W option
cc ERROR parsing -W:  unknown flag
*** Error code 2 (bu21)
*** Error code 1 (bu21)
*** Error code 1 (bu21)
*** Error code 1 (bu21)

I'm trying to compile it using CC as I don't have GCC on this machine now.  I
do not have the ability to install the freeware copy of GCC from SGI because I
do not have root privileges to install.  I've configured with a --prefix in my
own work area.

Can anyone help me out here?

Much appreciated.

Clarence Donath