userspace spinlocks

To: linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Subject: userspace spinlocks
From: Florian Lohoff <flo@rfc822.org>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 15:17:36 +0100
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Hi,
while compiling db2 i got the configure warning "spinlocks not implemented
for this compiler/architecture" - I guess as we do not currently have
SMP machines (except the ones ralf is working on) we dont have a problem,
but how should the spinlocks be implemented ?

I mean - normally "ll" and "sc" are needed - But those are not
available on R3000 - And spinning in an ll/sc loop and emulating
them with exceptions isnt that fast.

OTOH - Where are they normally implemented ? libc ? macro ? Could
there be a runtime linking thing with a cpu detection wether we
have ll/sc or not ?

Flo