Re: userland packages

To: Ralf Baechle <ralf@oss.sgi.com>
Subject: Re: userland packages
From: Jun Sun <jsun@mvista.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 10:14:23 -0700
Cc: Pete Popov <ppopov@mvista.com>, "linux-mips@oss.sgi.com" <linux-mips@oss.sgi.com>
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Ralf Baechle wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 26, 2000 at 05:36:17PM -0700, Pete Popov wrote:
>
> > Is there a guide on how to rebuild userland packages from source code?
> > I've installed the cross compiler and can compile a kernel, but when I
> > try to build a simple userland app, the compiler can't find libraries,
> > include files, etc.
>
> You have to copy all the includes and libraries to
> /usr/mips-linux/{include,lib}/, then fixup linker scripts that disguise
> themselfes as .so files like libc.so and you can start.
>
> Getting everything to crosscompile is a hard job, I really recomend
> native builds.

Pete,

He is not telling the truth. :-)  See his very own MIPS-HOWTO,
cross-compile section :

http://www.linux.sgi.com/mips-howto.html

Also, you can take a look of the rpm spec files for the toolchains I put
on ftp.mvista.com/pub/Area51/mips_le/.  So far all my usrland stuff are
cross-compiled - I don't have the luxury of a desktop MIPS with 1.6GB
RAM.

Jun