Re: fdisk/kernel oddity

To: Keith M Wesolowski <>
Subject: Re: fdisk/kernel oddity
From: Florian Lohoff <>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 14:19:08 +0200
Cc: Guido Guenther <>,
On Wed, Oct 25, 2000 at 10:14:53AM -0700, Keith M Wesolowski wrote:
> I rather suspect that this is the same problem that causes the request
> for the out-of-bounds block in the first place: kernel memory
> corruption. Unfortunately I have few ideas as to what the specific
> problem is. I would start bug-hunting in the sgi disklabel kernel
> parts. Make sure that it's compatible with what fdisk is doing.

I agree here - This also would fit to the "Illegal Instruction" thing
he sees afterwards - It seems to be time to debug the kernel SGI Disklabel
support :)

Most interestingly i am running on an Indigo2 with 7 Disks attached
and they all have SGI Disklabels - And i have no problems (Although
6 of the 7 have the exatly same geometrie)

Florian Lohoff                  +49-5201-669912
      "Write only memory - Oops. Time for my medication again ..."