Re: fdisk/kernel oddity

To: Klaus Naumann <spock@mgnet.de>
Subject: Re: fdisk/kernel oddity
From: Guido Guenther <guido.guenther@gmx.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 00:32:56 +0200
Cc: Keith M Wesolowski <wesolows@chem.unr.edu>, linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
On Wed, Oct 25, 2000 at 10:46:12PM +0200, Klaus Naumann wrote:
> I've been geeting this correuption a while back too - look at the mailing
> list archives. The problem seems to be cache corruption as far as I can
> see. Since Ralf checked in some small fixes for the cache handling it's a
> bit better - but not completely fixed.
Can you explain in what sense it is "a bit better" now.
> The Problem is also tracked on the buc tracker btw (#5) .
Ian was so kind to but it into the BTS after he told me that this is a
known problem.

> I have seen this only when copying from one harddisk to another.
> Especialy if one wants to copy the kernel sources it will messup.
I also see problems when dd'ing from /dev/sda to e.g. /dev/null,
so this does not only occur when copying between disks. Also in this
case I don't get the illegal instructions but rather strange
"/etc/shadow file not found" messages.
Regards,
 -- Guido