Re: fdisk/kernel oddity

To: Keith M Wesolowski <wesolows@chem.unr.edu>
Subject: Re: fdisk/kernel oddity
From: Guido Guenther <guido.guenther@gmx.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 19:43:48 +0200
Cc: linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
On Wed, Oct 25, 2000 at 10:14:53AM -0700, Keith M Wesolowski wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 25, 2000 at 07:01:29PM +0200, Guido Guenther wrote:
> Not to sound defensive, but I'm fairly sure this isn't an
> fdisk-related problem. The partitions that fdisk creates follow the
> spec as far as I can see.
I didn't want to blame fdisk for that(how could I, I want you to send
the patches upstream ASAP :)

> > What puzzles me even more is that I get illegal instructions for almost
> > all commands I execute afterwards. Any comments on this one?
>
> I rather suspect that this is the same problem that causes the request
> for the out-of-bounds block in the first place: kernel memory
> corruption. Unfortunately I have few ideas as to what the specific
> problem is. I would start bug-hunting in the sgi disklabel kernel
> parts. Make sure that it's compatible with what fdisk is doing.
That's a starting point - thanks. Ian pointed out that it might be
related to the fact that I use two harddisks which is interesting since
I see the problems only when writing on sda, sdb seems to be o.k.
Regards,
 -- Guido