Re: process lockups

To: linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Subject: Re: process lockups
From: Florian Lohoff <flo@rfc822.org>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 14:25:26 +0200
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
On Tue, Oct 24, 2000 at 03:22:32AM +0200, Karsten Merker wrote:
> Hallo everyone,
>
> I am running Kernel 2.4.0-test9 on a DECstation 5000/150. I am
> experiencing a strange behaviour when having strong I/O-load, such as
> running a "tar xvf foobar.tgz" with a large archive. After some time of
> activity the process (in this case tar) is stuck in status "D". There is
> neither an entry in the syslog nor on the console that would give me a
> hint what is happening. Is anyone else experiencing this?

I have not seen this on my /150 although i have not been running -test9. I
got that machine @home right now so ill check if i can reproduce this.

> Another thing I see on my 5000/150 (and only there - this is my only
> R4K-machine, so I do not know whether this is CPU- or machine-type-bound)
> is "top" going weird, eating lots of CPU cycles and spitting messages
> "schedule_timeout: wrong timeout value fffbd0b2 from 800900f8; Setting
> flush to zero for top". I know Florian also has this on his 5000/150.
> Anyone else with the same behavoiur or any idea about the cause for this?

I guess this is Decstation specific as i cant seem to be able
to reproduce this on the I2 - I have seen this too.

Flo
--
Florian Lohoff          flo@rfc822.org                  +49-5201-669912
      "Write only memory - Oops. Time for my medication again ..."