Re: pthread_create() gets BUS ERROR

To: Jun Sun <>
Subject: Re: pthread_create() gets BUS ERROR
From: Ralf Baechle <>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 03:37:43 +0200
Cc: Ralf Baechle <>,
On Mon, Oct 23, 2000 at 06:24:18PM -0700, Jun Sun wrote:

> Since Ralf has not posted his patch for glibc yet, I looked into the
> problem a little bit more.

If you'd be waiting just a few minutes longer I'd have announced it :-)

The srpm is currently uploading to
srpms/glibc-2.0.6-7lm.src.rpm.  The file is 4682466 bytes long, so don't
start downloading before it's completly uploaded :-)

> It appears to be another toolchain related problem, instead of a glibc
> problem.
> In linuxthread/pthread.c:pthread_initialize_manager(), it accesses a
> global variable __pthread_initial_thread_bos in pthread shared library.
> Apparently the code finds out the address of the variable through some
> table (why is that?).  It looks like the offset for variable is off by
> 8.  Another ld problem?
> I am using the "old but stable" toolchains, as I stated in an earlier
> email.:-9

This description somehow rings a bell.  I'll dig through my mailfolders
and will post if I find something.