Re: Bug Tracker online

To: spock@mgnet.de (Klaus Naumann)
Subject: Re: Bug Tracker online
From: Karel van Houten <K.H.C.vanHouten@research.kpn.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2000 12:21:07 +0200 (MET DST)
Cc: linux-mips@oss.sgi.com (Linux/MIPS list), linux-mips@fnet.fr (Linux MIPS fnet.fr)
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Hi Klaus,

Klaus wrote:
> Actually writing the bug tracker wasn't an act of boredom
> (if you meant it that way). I had the strong feeling that we have
> a lot of open problems and we're loosing control which are still open.
> Well, in fact your mail is the only comment from the mailinglists on a
> project which has taken a week to write and makes sense to me and other
> ppl. I hoped that if ppl don't like the idea or the way I did it, that
> they at least would tell me to make it better.
> Just not saying anything is pretty lame and to be honest I'm pretty
> disappointed about that.
> Note that I'm not hunting for a "Hey what a cool idea !" or so -
> but I'd have expected at least any comment.
You sound a bit disappointed. Well, I can imagine, but you should
give people more time. I had planned to look into your bug tracker,
but didn't found the time yet (Your mail was still in my inbox).

Concerning the boot output parser:
> This is indeed a interesting idea. Writing it wouldn't be a big deal.
> But the question is if it's worth writing it. First we would need
> some ppl which actally send the info somewhere - I'm pretty
> much in doubt, that we will find enough so that it rents.
> Second question is if ppl are actually interested in such a thing.
> I'll not again waste time writing something where I don't get at least a
> small ammount of feedback and which noone is using.
I think it is really useful to know what configurations / kernel versions
and hardware other people have. I have published the bootlogs of
my DECStations on my website.

By the way, you could update your mips-linux webpages in respect to
DECStations from my info: http://www.xs4all.nl/~vhouten/mipsel

I'm currently running kernel 2.4.0-test9, and I'm in the process
of rebuilding RedHat 6.1 packages to get a minimal distribution ready.

Regards,

--
Karel van Houten