Re: Installing Linux on an Indy

To: Budgester <budgester@budgester.com>
Subject: Re: Installing Linux on an Indy
From: Alistair MacDonald <alistair@slitesys.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 23:40:11 +0100 (BST)
Cc: "Linux-Mips (E-mail)" <linux-mips@oss.sgi.com>
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com

On Sat, 21 Oct 2000, Budgester wrote:
> I am trying to Install Linux on an INDY, but due to lack of knowledge and me
> being a bit of a newbie I am having problems.
>
> I have a i386 server setup and as much documentation as I can find,
>
> I am using the foobazco docs at the moment.
>
> Could anyone point me in the right direction to solve the following problem.
>
> Where do I find base.tar.gz ?

You can find the most recent versions of the code at:

ftp://oss.sgi.com/pub/linux/mips/mips-linux/simple/userland-0.2b

There isn't a base.tar.gz in the 'simple' system any more. I found that
for a diskless Indy I could just extract all these packages into one
directory and then mount that. You'll need the most recent kernel from:

ftp://oss.sgi.com/pub/linux/mips/mips-linux/simple/kernels

as well.

If you plan on running with this setup then you will probably want to
create a /tmp directory and a /var/log which appeared to be missing on
mine.

Alistair