Re: oops in lance initialization / diskboot

To: "Kevin D. Kissell" <kevink@mips.com>
Subject: Re: oops in lance initialization / diskboot
From: Florian Lohoff <flo@rfc822.org>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 22:29:04 +0200
Cc: linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
On Sat, Oct 21, 2000 at 10:16:43PM +0200, Kevin D. Kissell wrote:
> I've seen this sort of problem on other platforms with
> other bootloaders, but I'll bet good money that the
> reason is the same - if the boot monitor listens to
> the ethernet, it will have set up some number of
> buffer descriptors in memory.   There's a class of
> loader bug whereing it launches the application,
> in this case the Linux kernel, without shutting down
> the LAN controller.  The first broadcast packet that
> comes across the wire then corrupts some hunk of
> memory that Linux thought it had control over.   Note
> that your "address" is a fragment of an ASCII string.
> The only 100% solution is to fix the bootloader.  Can
> you shut off the Lance in delo?

Probably - The problem is that i cant with the PROM. So i
have to copy the lance init/search thing from the kernel
if i wanted to ...

But from the source i see that the driver assumes the Lance
is inactive and starts with setting up DMA instead of first
resetting the Card. I'll try that first.

Flo
--
Florian Lohoff          flo@rfc822.org                  +49-5201-669912
      "Write only memory - Oops. Time for my medication again ..."