Re: Indigo2 setup

To: "J. Scott Kasten" <jsk@tetracon-eng.net>
Subject: Re: Indigo2 setup
From: Guido Guenther <guido.guenther@gmx.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 18:49:22 +0200
Cc: Dave Garnier <dgarnier@openport.com>, SGI news group <linux-mips@oss.sgi.com>
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
On Thu, Oct 19, 2000 at 11:48:47AM -0300, J. Scott Kasten wrote:

> The issue is slightly more complicated than yes or no.
>
> It is possible to install and run linux on an SGI without any Irix
> assistance at all.  But you will be stuck netbooting the kernel from a
> bootp/tftp server and then mounting the local disk after receiving the
> kernel from another machine over the network.
Not true anymore. You can partition with a patched fdisk(from Keith) and
put the kernel into the volume-header with a patched dvhtool(patch posted
a few days ago on this list) + a small kernel-patch to parse the
OSLoadPartition prom-variable. See
        http://honk.physik.uni-konstanz.de/~agx/mipslinux/dvhtool/
I could only test this on an Indy since I don't have a hd in my I2. On
the Indy I put 4 kernels into the volume header and could choose freely
between them by using the OSLoader-option in the prom.
Regards,
 -- Guido