Swap on DECStation

To: linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Subject: Swap on DECStation
From: Jan-Benedict Glaw <jbglaw@lug-owl.de>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 12:14:32 +0200
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Hi!

Making my first steps on DECStations, I see the follwoing behavior:

- Running juite a number of processes like
        void main(void){for(;;);}
 is no real problem. They don't want any memory;)

- *But* only running two processes which malloc() a large memory
  region (read: 10MB each on my 5000/120 w/ 8MB RAM *but* enough
  swap to provide that virtual memory) will lock up the box quite
  predictably...

Is there any advice you can give me on how to start debugging the
process of swapping in/out pages? I really don't know enough about
Linux' VM system and it's arch-dependand backend on MIPSel.

MfG, JBG

--
Fehler eingestehen, Größe zeigen: Nehmt die Rechtschreibreform zurück!!!
/* Jan-Benedict Glaw <jbglaw@lug-owl.de> -- +49-177-5601720 */