Re: Indigo2 setup

To: linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Subject: Re: Indigo2 setup
From: Marcus Herbert <rhoenie@spam-filter.de>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 07:21:03 +0200
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
On Wed, Oct 18, 2000 at 06:08:41PM -0500, Dave Garnier wrote:
> I just picked up an indigo2 with irix6.5 on it, but no install cd's.  Is
> it possible to install mips-linux with out the irix cd's?  I would like
> to wipe the drive clean, and I remember reading that you need the irix
> boot loader, is this still true?  Also is there a how-to, web site with
> an install guide, or FAQ ?

If i were you i wouldnt simply kill the installation. Get a second
harddisk, attach it either internal or external, prepare it for use with
linux and finaly swap it with the built in drive on the sled. I recommend
an IBM drive (faster and not that noisy).

http://oss.sgi.com/mips/mips-howto.html

(There is even a special indigo2 page somewhere, but i cant memorize the
URL right now. I guess Florian can help out.)

--
      PGP2 Key-ID: 666/36540865 1997/06/09 <rhoenie@spam-filter.de>
       GPG Key-ID: 1024D/2E2DAB44 2000-01-30 <rhoenie@spam-filter.de>