Re: ld problem

Subject: Re: ld problem
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@oss.sgi.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2000 12:32:33 +0200
Cc: linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
On Sat, Oct 14, 2000 at 01:10:56AM +0100, Ian Chilton wrote:

> I am running a system with glibc 2.0.6 (-5lm), binutils 2.8.1 and
> egcs 1.0.3a, oh, and linux-2.2.14-mips
>
> Everything compiled fine, including X4.0.1, except when I try to run
> startx, I get:
>
> bash-2.04# startx
> xinit: error in loading shared libraries
> libXmu.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

> That's when I found the ldconfig problem:
>
> bash-2.04# /sbin/ldconfig
> Bus error

Which is probably the root of the evil - I assume at the point when it's
crashing the new /etc/ld.so.conf file is still incomplete.  I don't have
a theory what's causing that, sorry.

Hmm...  Checkout your /etc/ld.so.conf file.  It should exist and contain
a number of lines like:

/usr/X11R6/lib
/usr/lib
/usr/local/lib

and probably others more.

Maybe ldconfig crashes if the file doesn't exist or contains garbage.

A workaround which may try is the LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable:

  export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=`tr '\n' ':' </etc/ld.so.conf`

After this command you should be able to execute binaries as long as they
are not SUID or SGID binaries.